Napoletana sauce is a timeless recipe, made with simple ingredients but packing that authentic Italian Taste.
Suitable for Vegetarians
250g Penne Rigate
400g Chopped Tomatoes or 400g Passata
1 tbsp Tomato Puree
Pinch of Sugar (optional)
4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Small Onion
5/6 Fresh Basil Leaves
Prep time 10 mins – Cooking time 40 mins – Ready in 50 mins
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, chop up your onion and add to the oil to fry until starting to brown. Once brown add the tomato puree and mix well.
- Add your chopped tomatoes or Passata and season to your liking then set aside to simmer slowly for 30 minutes. Please add some water if the sauce is too thick.
- Once the sauce has cooked, get another saucepan and boil salted water to add your pasta until cooked al dente (10-13mins). Once pasta is cooked, drain the water and add to the tomato sauce.
- Mix the pasta and sauce well to coat everything and serve straight away.
- Grate some Parmesan cheese over the top and even add some fresh chillies (optional).