Here is a simple recipe to make perfect Neapolitan Pizza dough from your own kitchen, its a lot of fun and really tasty!
30 mins to 1 hour
less than 10 mins
Makes 4 pizzas
For the dough
- 1kg of 00 pizza flour
- 8g of salt
- Your pot of yeast provided
- 650ml of water
- Preheat the oven to 250C/500F/Gas 9.
- In a large bowl, place the flour and salt together. Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water and gradually add to the flour. Mix well until you obtain a dough. If you find the dough too sticky, just add a little flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball and leave to rest covered with a damp cloth for 5 minutes. After this time, you will find the dough much more pliable to work with. Begin to massage the dough, pressing quite hard. You really want a nice dough that moves with you so keep pressing and make sure there is no air in the dough. We would suggest kneading the dough for a good 10 minutes, once done split into four. Knead each piece for a couple of minutes each and form into balls. Sprinkle some flour on a clean kitchen cloth and place the dough on it covering with a slightly damp cloth. Leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean work surface and with your fingers spread the dough into a roughly round shape with a border. Make the dough as thin as a pancake but beware not to split the dough. Put grease proof paper of your baking sheets and place the pizza bases on them.
- Spread a little of the tomato evenly over each base – not put too much as the pizza will go soggy. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with your mozzarella cheese and add your toppings.
- Place in the hot oven for 7 minutes (a couple of minutes longer if you prefer your pizza crispy). Remove from the oven, drizzle with some olive oil and eat immediately – pizzas are not very nice cold or reheated!